Thursday, December 2, 2010

Keeping Busy

I always planned on being a fun mom. Probably everyone does, but I have been feeling like such a boring mom lately. Where did my imagination go? During the summer we spent our days outside on long walks. Now that it is cold I am having a hard time finding things to do with Darcy. I have been wracking my brain this past couple weeks trying to come up with things to entertain Darcy for more than two minutes. She still couldn't care less about the TV so that is not an option, and I keep trying to convince myself that is a good thing.

Drew is busy finishing up his last week of school, and the days are feeling soo long here at home trying to come up with a new activity every couple minutes. There are a LOT of two minute increments in a day I have discovered, and not enough naps! My brain is tired.

I started teaching Darcy sign language on Tuesday and I really wish I would have started sooner! It's amazing how fast she is picking it up. I have been a little frustrated about communication with her, and this is helping so much. Her favorite sign, that she does really consistently is "more"... go figure. Other signs she gets off and on are "please" "water" "up" and "airplane."

The sink has been one of the ways I keep Darcy busy. She loves to play in the water, and she gets it everywhere.

Getting her feet wet.

I thought Darcy might be too young for it, but I decided to make some playdough and she really seems to like it. She certainly isn't doing any sculpting yet though. She just likes to pull little pieces off and transport them around the house. Fun to clean up. :)

Playing with the playdough for the first time.

When we go outside she always picks up rocks. So the other day we bundled up and went outside to collect a bunch of rocks. I filled a jar with the rocks and gave her a measuring cup and noodle spoon (I don't know if there is a more official name) and let her transfer the rocks from the jar to a bowl and back.

Trying to fit the measuring spoon into the jar. I needed a bigger jar I think.

3 comments:

Haley Webb said...

Those things all sound fun to me. I wish I could move rocks from a jar to a bowl. Ashley has a fun little Busy Book that we used for ideas when she was little(r) I bet she would let you borrow it...when you come NEXT WEEK.

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

My cousins use this website and I've subscribed to it too. It kind of depends on the age of the kid and you might have to adapt some of the activities, but I love all the ideas each week! :)

http://play-activities.com/

Kristen and Alex said...

Fun! I am the most boring mom ever! So I am glad you are moving closer because maybe you can share some of your ideas with me. It is so hard to play with this age group of kids and keep them entertained and happy. It does hurt your brain because it is hard to think on that little kid level. When are you moving here? I can't wait to see you!