Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Solution


For the past few weeks I have been having A LOT of rough days. I think it's mostly because Darcy is a two year old and she is testing limits, and she is one stubborn little lady if she feels like being that way. So, we are having to do lots of disciplining which puts a damper on our days. Anyway, I was having a rough time and I was mad at myself for not enjoying my days as a mom more. Laying in bed the other night I came up with this idea. I thought I would share it in case it might be helpful for someone else too. I decided to start a journal that I write in every day and I list the great things the kids did during that day. Only good things. At the end of a hard day it really helps to be able to look back and see how many good things actually happened that day, and I don't go to bed feeling like that day was a bust. It has really helped me!

Here are some things my kids did lately that I loved:

- Darcy and I were having fun together and she asked "You happy Mom?" And I really was.

- Darcy and I were both giving Ezra tons of kisses and it made him and Darcy both laugh.

- For the first time, without being prompted, Darcy randomly came and gave me a hug and said, "I love you."

- While I was Visiting Teachings I got to hold Ezra while he slept (I never do this) and I could barely handle how sweet his baby face was.

- After I told Darcy how to put her doll's diaper back on, she came and instructed me on how to put Ezra's diaper on.

- Ezra was so excited to see Drew when he got home from work. He was thrashing around with excitement.

- When I was done folding the laundry, Darcy walked over and grabbed her pile and took it up to her room without me asking.

- We were riding stick horses and Darcy named hers Towel.

- We went on a stroller walk and Ezra was so happy the whole time (this was big because Ezra is teething and has been pretty cranky).

10 comments:

Ashley Calaway said...

Such a great idea! I will have to remember this one for when the stressful days come. Luckily, they haven't hit just yet, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing just how independent Claire is pretty soon :)

Sharee said...

Great idea Lindsey. I DEFINITELY need something to remind me to be happy about being a mom sometimes. I think I will give this a try plus it helps save those good memories I tend to forget. Thanks!

melanie said...

You are doing a GREAT job Lindsey! I love this idea and needed to read this tonight. Reed said something super funny but I was in a foul mood because the other kids were fighting and now I can't remember what it was. Sad I let the 'rough day' get to me. You will treasure this journal, it's way to easy to forgot!

melanie said...

p.s. I stalked you off Sara's blog ;)

Brittany said...

lindsey, this was the sweetest blog post ever!! that really is a great idea. keep up the good work my friend, i think you are a great mama!

Cassie said...

That's a great idea! I saw this article the other day that is amazing, thought I would pass it along if you haven't already read it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html

Kristen and Alex said...

Good idea! I'm sorry you are having a rough time with Darcy right now. It will get better and this journal will be a great thing to look back on too!

Ashley said...

Lindsey, I meant to tell you that I noticed your blog from Crystal's. You guys are the cutest, I am sad we aren't still your uphill neighbors! You will have to keep posting how Darcy is doing with nursery. I always thought that you seemed lioke such an upbeat person about everything! We have a blog too, but it is private, let me know if you want an invite: ashleyshafer@gmail.com

Chelsea said...

Cute idea. Thanks for sharing! Being a mom is really hard!

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.