Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grandma Beth's 90th Birthday Party!!



On July 7th we had a big party for my Grandma's 90th birthday. I had so much family around and I absolutely loved it. Seriously. I have such amazing cousins and my dad's sisters are some of my favorite people on the planet. I was so sad when everyone left. I think I am still going through withdrawals.

About a year ago Haley said that she thought we should put together a family Lawrence Welk show for my Grandma, because it would make her life complete. Then people started talking about how to celebrate her 90th birthday and Haley suggested doing the Lawrence Welk show and it made the cut! I'm telling you, it was the best idea anyone has ever had!

If you don't know about the Lawrence Welk show you are missing out! Haha. Go here for a little history Lawrence Welk show. My dad grew up watching it on Saturday nights with his family and my grandma still calls my parents' house almost every Saturday to make sure they are watching because every episode is so wonderful to her.

 My cousin Tanner was Lawrence Welk and he did the most amazing job! He was so hilarious. Every Lawrence Welk show started with bubbles and I though it was so funny to have the bubbles blowing in front of him. 

 
We were supposed to be putting on the show for her but my grandma couldn't help but get in on the action. My grandpa sang and my grandma accompanied him on the accordion.

 My Uncle Alan played the guitar and sang with my grandma on the accordion again.
 
 Kacy and Anna performing

My Aunt Sarah sang the Hawaiin Wedding Song with her kids Ty, Tanner, Heidi, and Tate while Ty's wife Vicki did the hula in her wedding dress. Beautiful!

My mom spent hours slaving over these skirts for my sisters and me to sing Tumblin' Tumbleweeds together like the Lennon sisters. Haley spent hours listening to them sing it on YouTube and figuring out the arrangement and all our parts. We had decided we should look at Grandma most of the time because we assumed she's be smiling and it would help us smile too, but when we made eye contact with her we realized she was crying! Dang! Of course that made Haley and me cry too so we struggled a little bit to get our notes out. It went pretty well though considering we were all choked up.

 We also sang backup while my dad played the guitar and sang. 

 My aunts (and a relative wearing white who's name I don't even know unfortunately) sang "Grandpa" and it was fabulous.

My cousin Shay played the guitar and sang a couple songs she wrote that were so AMAZING! She is really talented. Emily sang harmony. She can hear the harmony to any song and pick it up so fast.


 My cousins Tanner, Tate, and Ty and Drew sang "Sobbin' Women" and it was so funny. Drew joined the group kind of last minute but he wasn't scared at all and he did some great acting and singing! He was seriously cracking me up.


 All the cousins (except the ten that couldn't make it) sang "Sentimental Ole You" for the last act accompanied by my Aunt Laura on the guitar.

 In the Lawrence Welk show they always have the audience members out dancing on the dance floor to the music, so at the end they played some music and we did a little dancing. My grandma got to dance with Lawrence Welk himself!!

And I just thought this was a cute picture of my dad and my grandpa. :)

5 comments:

Kristen and Alex said...

That is SO AWESOME! What an amazing family to put something so special together like that for your Grandma! I LOVE your Grandma she is such a wonderful sweet lady and I miss seeing her at church. She was always so talkative and nice to me. Happy 90th to Grandma Beth! That is a huge milestone birthday and it sounds like she had a fabulous celebration! Almost makes me cry.....that is SO sweet!

Luke said...

I was sad to be one of the ten that couldn't make it for the party. It was at least fun to see everything you guys did to make it a special day for grandma. It's obvious that she had a blast. I actually watched a bit of the Lawrence Welk show this past Saturday in honor of her. (I couldn't quite handle watching an entire episode though.) Thanks for posting.

Lindsey said...

Haha Luke! That was very thoughtful of you! I don't know if I could make it through a whole episode either.

Vicki Sabin said...

I wish I was a Jenne.... What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman!

melanie said...

I loved reading this after talking pre party in the mother's lounge. Great skirts too! I'm glad you guys had such a great time.