Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy Birthday Nick!

The other day I was thinking about my brothers and sisters and how lucky I am to have such great people for siblings. They have each had a big impact on me, and I decided to do a little birthday post about each of them this year.

I get to start off immediately on that little project because Nick's birthday is New Year's Day. I am going to shoot for five great things about each of them, or memories I have of them that were significant to me.

1. Nick is really smart and I can remember realizing this when I was pretty young. I always struggled with math and science and I remember sitting at the kitchen table completely frustrated and confused while my dad patiently tried to explain a math concept to me probably for the millionth time. Nick sat down with us and before long he was able to work out the problems while I remained in my state of confusion. He has always been quick to pick things up, and he retains information like nobodies business (hence his amazing skills at the Disney Scene It game). :)

2. Along with his quick brain came a very quick wit. He has a dry sense of humor that tends to have us laughing our heads off at family gatherings. Growing up lots of people thought he was really quiet, and I guess he isn't terribly chatty if he doesn't have anything to say, but then he'll surprise you with a real zinger when the time is right.

3. When Nick was 13 he got in a big four-wheeler wreck that put him in the hospital for 20 days, and ultimately left him without feeling in one of his feet. I am certain I couldn't have handled that situation as well as he did and still does. 13 years later and I still have never heard him complain about it or even seem discouraged. He continued right on doing everything he did before and probably more. He kept playing football, snowboarding, wakeboarding, riding motorcycles, etc. I admire that about him so much.

4. I think it was a little while before Nick went on his mission that we had this conversation. I was talking to him about the scripture that talks about being a "knower" or a "believer" and just as I was about to say that I guessed I was a believer Nick said, "I'm a knower." It took me back a little. His testimony in that moment was really powerful to me. Simple and strong. I really believe that he knows, and I love that.

5. Nick is really great with kids. My dad was a great example of this and both of my brothers are following in his footsteps. He has done so many sweet things for my kids and they love him. I'm trying to stick to five, so part two of number five is that he married an awesome girl that we love so much which gives him even more points. :)

Happy birthday Nick! I'm so lucky to have you as my brother!

2 comments:

Dione said...

So sweet :) Happy Bday Nick!

Alyssa Jenne said...

Okay this made me tear up! You are so sweet! Nick really is the best.