Thursday, September 10, 2015

Happy Birthday Luke!

I freaked out for a second a couple days ago when I realized it was about to be Luke's birthday and I had really forgotten about this little project. I was pretty relieved that I had remembered a couple days before his birthday instead of a couple days after.

5 things about Luke:

1. He is a fantastic dad. I have loved watching Luke with is kids. I have been around enough people who aren't really kid people to know what a sweet gift it is for a child to have adults who like having them around, and who know how to interact with them. Luke is great with his kids, my kids, and any other kids he is around.

2. Basically, in my mind, there is no one in the world who is a better athlete. I am six(ish) years younger than Luke and grew up watching him dominate in any sport he tried in school. I was always proud to tell people in our community or the surrounding schools that my last name was Jenne, because it was generally associated with Luke Jenne and his athletic prowess. Unfortunately, for some reason having the same last name didn't automatically mean I was the best athlete at any sport I tried. Somehow his life has taken him other directions, but I'm still pretty sure he could go pro if he wanted to. :)

3. It seems to me like Luke is more level headed and even-tempered than I could ever dream of being. He has dealt with his fair share of ups and downs in his life. I have never noticed things going to his head through the ups, and I think his spirit has remained unbroken through the downs. I remember a time in high school when my parents couldn't find him early one morning (which I believe was starting to make them nervous if I remember right) but after a little while he came walking through the front door. He was facing some kind of issue, and had gone for a long run to think, or clear his head, or just to do something productive when he couldn't sleep. I never really knew what his reasoning was, but I remember thinking I probably would have just screamed and cried instead...much less effective. I honestly have never seen him lose his temper. He seems to be able to be steady and to think clearly. I admire that about him so much.

4. Luke's nickname on our family website for a long time was "Sarcasmo." Maybe the reason he doesn't get too worked up about anything, is because he doesn't take life too seriously. He can always keep things light and fun.

5. I have been so impressed as I have watched my brothers' and sisters' develop their faith and testimonies. I have seen Luke become a gospel scholar. I have been impressed by the way he studies the scriptures with his kids. Through his comments in our conversations and in the few Sunday school classes we have been in together, is it obvious that the gospel and his family are his top priorities. I am so grateful to his example and influence in my life!

Happy birthday Luke! It is so fun to get to see more of you these days! Oh, and sorry about any typos you may have found. I know those will really drive you crazy. :)

No comments: