Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Happy Moments

We have had some really great days this week and today was an especially great day. I just wanted to write down a couple of the funny/happy things my kids did today.

- Someone was coming to take pictures of Darcy's dance class today (it was an old man and she cried the whole time because she was worried about him being there) so I told her to try and keep her hair nicely done and not to lean her head back in the car. As I pulled away from a stop light I hit the gas a little harder than I meant to and it threw us all back in our seats. I was thinking it was funny, but Darcy gasped and said in despair, "Mom! You got my hair!" She was so sad about it. I hadn't even realized she was actually listening to my direction, but apparently she was taking it very seriously.

- Drew had to work late today, so I was trying to make dinner and keep Ezra happy at the same time and I wasn't doing a very great job. I sat him on the couch and Darcy said, "I can read him a book!" (She really amazes me with how observant, thoughtful, and willing to help she is.) So she grabbed a book and they settled in on the couch together. It was Froggy Learns to Swim, a book from the library we have read to her multiple times. She opened it up and proceeded to "read" the whole book to Ezra. She knew so much of the story, and just how some things were said I was so surprised.

- Not long after, while I was still making dinner, Darcy hung a scarf across the back of the couch and onto the sofa table a few feet behind it and sat the globe on the scarf to make it stay up. They were going back and forth under the scarf and Darcy was singing "London Bridge". Then she knocked the whole set-up over one time which made both of them laugh. So they started setting it up just to knock it over, over and over again. I have never heard both of them laugh so hard playing together, and I can't even tell you how much I loved listening in. A few different times Darcy said, "This is the best time we've ever had!"

- Every night when we say our family prayers Drew asks, "Is there anyone here who would like to say the prayer?" Darcy usually raises her hand immediately, with some competition from me sometimes just to keep her hopping. (She always wins though.) Tonight though, when Drew asked his question Ezra's hand shot up! It made us all laugh so hard, especially Darcy. So Drew told him he could go ahead and say it, and he folded his arms and bowed his head. We loved it! He didn't actually say anything, but at this rate I'm sure it won't be long until he is giving Darcy some serious competition.

These happy moments feel like magic to me.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

linds this is the best post ever. your kids are too cute. can we please be neighbors?

Lindsey said...

You have no idea how happy that would make me Brittany!!