Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Drew's Race

Instead of heading home from our adventure in Utah we headed to Idaho for Drew to ride in his first official motocross race. It was a team race and his teammate was Luke, and Nick was on a team with his brother-in-law. To get there we drove the most beautiful rode full of fall colored trees that I could hardly handle. Why did we not stop for pictures?! It made that drive so pleasant for me. We met up with Alyssa's family at the race, and it was fun to see them again. They brought their camper which was a lifesaver. (Maybe literally for Ezra who was having a hard time with his breathing again because of all the dust.)

I was shocked when I asked him and Drew said he wasn't nervous, because as soon as we drove into the race course area my stomach dropped into my shoes. It was a much bigger deal than I had anticipated. There were lots of people there, and some pretty serious racers! Luke and Nick started off for their teams and had to do the whole starting gate thing. I have no idea why, but the intensity of all the engines revving and then so many bikes taking off so fast in a huge cloud of dust made me want to cry. I wasn't sure I could ever even watch that again. Drew on the other hand, was a little sad he didn't get to be part of that action. We're different like that. :)

The course was really huge, and each lap took about 15 minutes. Luke started off and then Drew took the second lap, and they switched off and on until the race was over. They rode for two hours. Luke ended up doing five laps and Drew did four. Nick and Austin did the same. During that very first lap Nick's back went out somehow and he wasn't sure if he could keep going. Alyssa got him some pain killer and he managed to keep going, and I think he was feeling alright by the time the whole thing was over. I was frustrated that I couldn't see where they were all the time, because it was hard to be ready with my camera when they showed up again. They were all so exhausted and dirty when they finished, but we wanted to try again another time. So it's possible more races are in our future, although it might be the death of me.

We didn't know the results when we left, but Nick told Drew later that Drew and Luke either got 7th or 12th. (He couldn't remember for sure.) Honestly either one is pretty impressive to me considering how many people were there and considering Drew and Luke both wrecked at least once. Haha.
Waiting to get started
 
Luke and Drew
 
Austin, Nick, Luke, and Drew
 
The crazy starting line (out in the middle of some random person's back yard in Idaho)
 
This was when Nick came in from his first lap with a messed up back. I think I can see his stiff back in this picture. They switched riders by bumping the back tire of the next person.
 
Drew on his first lap
 
 Drew jumping. I loved those beautiful mountains in the background!
 
Luke with a little fist pump as he came in on the last lap
 

 
 
 



 

 Drew had a good blister on his hand when he was done.


No comments: