Monday, February 12, 2018

Stick Horse and Popcorn Cakes

This year for Christmas Darcy got to work on a couple fun projects. She had her three year old cousin Raylee's name for the Christensen family gift exchange and after looking at some ideas for her on Pinterest, we decided it would be fun to make her a stick horse that we saw. There were definitely some parts that were a little beyond her level that I had to do, but she worked on a lot of it and had fun getting to use the sewing machine a little. I haven't done a project like that for quite a while and it was pretty fun for me too. 

Drew's parents have made popcorn cakes to take to friends/neighbors at Christmas for a long time. We decided this year to carry on that tradition and we made ten popcorn cakes. We knew it would be handy to have some extra hands, but not the very littlest hands in our family, so we let Darcy stay up with Drew and I one night after we put the other kids to bed so she could help us. She was so giddy about the whole thing. It was pretty fun to see her so excited and happy to get to stay up late and work on that project with us. 
Tracing the pattern onto the felt. I was probably doing something wrong but for some reason the pattern I was supposed to print turned out soo tiny. So I had to free hand a bigger copy of it. That was a bit of a stretch for me since I generally have no drawing skills, but it seemed to turn out ok.

Making the mane





 This is the only picture I have of this stage with the stick in it without the face or horn done.

Darcy's job was to pop the popcorn and then transfer it to the other bowl trying to avoid the unpopped kernels.


 I was mostly in charge of the butter/marshmallow mixture (if the pot in front of me wasn't enough of a hint, you could tell by the marshmallow on my shirt and face). :)

Drew did a lot of the mixing and transferring the cakes into the bundt pan and then onto the plates.

No comments: