Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Baby Whisperer



So it turns out this mom thing is harder than I thought it would be! I actually thought it would be hard, but it has exceeded my expectations. I have spent the past couple weeks feeling pretty inadequate as a mom. Darcy has spent almost every night for the past couple weeks, from 9-midnight, crying. Drew and I would bounce her, rock her, snuggle her, sing to her, change her diaper, burp her, feed her, cry with her (not Drew-just to clarify), and whatever else we could possibly think of to fix it, but nothing was working and we were definitely feeling overwhelmed (and kind of like big fat losers in the parenting realm).

I realize that first paragraph sounds really negative and depressing, but that really is not the point. First, I wanted to make that confession just in case there was anyone else out there feeling the same way and thinking they were the only one (like I felt for a while). Second, and most important, I want to share what has finally helped and given me hope! Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. I think this book has saved my life. I really wish I would have read it before I had my baby, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone, whether you have a baby already or not, just so you're prepared. I know maybe everyone won't be as into it as I am, but if you end up having a little bit of a harder baby some day, you might come back to it. Read it!

Just so you know, we love our little Darcy so much! It is so exciting to watch her change and grow. Yesterday I'm pretty sure she was smiling at us! I'm not totally sure about that, but it really seemed like it. Even though we have had a little rough patch we sure wouldn't send her back! :)

3 comments:

Laura Howe said...

You are the best Mom I know it!! Just think this, it always makes me feel better, "at least she's not as bad a Wyatt." He he! Some babies just have sensitive tummies. She'll get used to the food.

Attitude of Gratitude said...

Oh I have so been there on that front--the one where your husband walks in the door, sees the expression on your face (that you are about to lose it--all of it!)
Colton had a VERY rough first 6 months and we found a few things that definitely help--one of them was this stuff called 'colic-ease'. It worked AMAZINGLY well, it is all-natural, nothing scary and gave me my sanity! If you have questions or just need to talk--call and we can compare notes or feel free to email. fur02001@yahoo or 509 727-0668.

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

I don't know how it works with breastfed babies, but Whit would be like this at night when she had a little constipation or gas that Mylicon wouldn't fix. I called the dr @ 1 1/2m desperate and he said to give her a little apple juice with water...it worked wonders! She was only drinking like 2oz at that point so I did 1oz apple and 1oz warm water and I was SO afraid to try this. It was awesome. I used the Gerber Apple/Prune juice. I really don't know if this would work with a breastfed baby b/c they aren't used to a bottle yet...but I actually just used this with Michael tonight. He's been so fussy and upset all day...I cave and give them a little juice...it makes them happy and maybe it takes their mind off the problem or maybe it helps, who knows. That is one of the best solutions to fussiness we have found besides Mylicon...and we did use it really early on. Goodluck... :)