Tuesday, October 4, 2011

YEE-HAW!

On the 23rd of September my dad turned 55. Haley had the BRILLIANT idea of having a little kid cowboy themed party for him. It wasn't the best planned party ever but it was so much fun and we could tell by my dad's expressions that he loved it. It was going to be a surprise but Drew and I drove up with our kids all decked out in our cowboy gear and he was standing right there, so that ended up being the surprising part. Haha. I don't know if there's a girl in the world who loves her dad as much as I love mine, and once again I am so happy we live so close so I could be there for his awesome party.

The first activity was calf roping. This is Drew, my dad, and Brian.

Darcy with her stick-horse "2". She has recently learned to say she is 2 when you ask how old she is, but she thinks that is the answer for any question you ask her now. So we kept asking what her horses name was and she said "2".

Riding ole 2.

Family picture in our cowboy gear. We found these hats at the dollar store and I could hardly handle how hilarious they looked. We all looked so stupid in them. Drew especially was sporting his proudly. When we drove up and got out of the pickup wearing those beauties everyone else got a kick out of them too.

This is a obviously not the best picture of Ezra but it was the best one we could get of his shirt. I just had to show off the shirt I made him the morning of the party. Darcy has a boots shirt she got from Grandma Christensen and I just copied the boot and put it on one of Ezra's shirts.

My mom was in charge of my dad's "happy cake". Haley found this idea on some blog and my mom made it happen. Pretty awesome huh!

My grandma, who is an expert pie-maker made two delicious peach pies with this adorable boot cut in the top.

Blowing out the candles.

In my family we always let the little kids have a turn (or 5) blowing out the candles after the birthday person.

After dinner and cake we went outside and I taught everyone a line-dance. It was so funny watching everyone try to figure it out.

This is my dad dancing and laughing hysterically (we all did a lot of that).

Haley is the best baby-holder in the world! She even held Ezra while she learned the line-dance. (Notice Brian's dance pose in the background.)

After line-dancing my dad opened his present from Uncle Don, Aunt Elaine, and Grandma and Grandpa...a new hunting jacket! He will be an awesome hunter now for sure.

Then we had stick-horse races. Drew and I went first. We used flower pots for obstacles. Of course I lost, but I don't know if it was because I was slower or because I was laughing harder (OK maybe I know it's because I'm slower.)

At this point Darcy had shed her pants. We're country like that. :) We were laughing that she was looking her horse in the face while she rode.

This picture is a classic. Drew and Brian taking their stick-horse racing very seriously!

Drew and Ashley racing.

The last activity of the night was a free-style horse racing event. I thought this picture of my dad's free-style run was the perfect way to end this post.

Haley also made a pin the tail on the horse game, but we never got to it. Rats!

Giddy Up!

4 comments:

Vicki Sabin said...

Oh man! I wish I was invited to the party.... I love it that I know a "real" cowboy! Happy belated birthday Tim :)

Sierra said...

How fun is that!!?? What great ideas. I'm sure your dad loved it! I can see it in his face :)

Kristen and Alex said...

That's awesome! Looks like it was one FUN party!

caitlinbeth said...

I love this.