Friday, June 4, 2010

Washington DC

Our next adventure was Washington DC. It was fun to get to go see everything there. We took a bus that started at Arlington Cemetery and dropped us off at the different sites around the mall area. I hope I get to go again some day when I am not carrying a baby most of the time so I can take my time checking everything out and reading descriptions. Both nights we were there we got together with Drew's Uncle Dana who lives there. He showed us around Georgetown and downtown DC and took us to dinner. It was cool to get to see those parts of town that we wouldn't have gone to if we were alone, and we really loved the places he took us to eat.
Our first stop was the Air and Space Museum. This picture of Drew is so telling. He was fascinated.
Drew and Darcy in front of some planes. I think Drew told me they were significant for some reason but I can't remember what it was at the moment. :)
Did you know the Wright brothers actually started out making bikes? I didn't! I want a bike like this!
In the Air and Space Museum in front of Orville and Wilbur Wright's plane. I loved this part!
Drew touching the moon rock in the Air and Space Museum.
The Jefferson Memorial at night.
Changing of the guard in Arlington Cemetery.
Drew and Darcy on the bus in Arlington Cemetery.
Drew and Darcy in front of Robert E. Lee's Arlington House in the Arlington Cemetery
Here we are in front of the reflecting pool with the Washington Monument in the background coming straight out of Drew's head. :)
Posing with Lincoln.
Vietnam Memorial. The guy who took our picture didn't warn us and just took the picture. I guess it is appropriate that I look so upset in front of a war memorial.
Drew served his mission in the Philippines so we had to get this picture at the WW2 Memorial.
We had to get a picture in front of the Washington part of the WW2 Memorial.
WW2 Memorial. There was a big gathering of WW2 Veterans there and they were giving some of them flags. It was pretty cool to see how patriotic they were.
In front of the White House.
We went to the Holocaust Museum which for me was the most interesting, but of course, also the most depressing. I came away from there feeling sick to my stomach.
Drew and I in front of the Capitol. Darcy was sleeping in the car. We set the camera on the car and set the timer.

2 comments:

Haley Webb said...

So fun. I totally cracked up at your picture in front of the Vietnam Memorial. That is a good one.

Ashley Jenne said...

Hey, did you know that the Lincoln Memorial is in the movie Night at the Museum, Battle of the Smithsonian? It's a good thing he didn't stand up and walk around while you were there. That's right, it's Meeeee, Ashley! (your sister) Bye.