Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gettysburg

Our last stop (and Drew's favorite) was Gettysburg. The first day we were there we took a three hour CD/car tour through the park. The tour covered all the details of the battles and explained exactly what had happened right where we were sitting. To be perfectly honest I was not feeling so great at this point and I spent most of the tour trying to sleep, but according to Drew it was very informative and he loved it. The next day we went to a reenactment of one of the battles. I was surprised how slow the whole thing was. I guess the guns at that time weren't the most accurate so it wasn't until they were about 10 feet from each other standing in a line that people started going down. It was definitely interesting to see how it might really have been. After the reenactment they had a contest shooting off the cannons. I wish I could remember what they really called it.

Thanks Neil and Becky for a fantastic vacation!!


The cannons firing



Statue of General Lee


The Union and Confederate armies in the heat of battle


Drew and I in front of the Union monument

2 comments:

Heidi said...

that sounds really neat. we might just have to do that before we go home.

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

This was my favorite place to go when we lived here...it's beautiful in the Fall...maybe we'll have to come out and visit you guys in the Fall and see the Manassas Battlefields too...Luke might get a little bored but if we throw in some sports game he might go for it. I've still got plenty of friends out near you guys, it's a really fun area and the Amish country was fun too...go to a diner and ask for scrapple, yum! :)