Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lacaster/Amish Country

I went with Lancaster for the title of this post because I didn't want the headline to be "Intercourse" which is where we actually were. Who was the genius that came up with that for the name of their town?!

This was the second place Neil and Becky took us in our travels and by far my favorite part of the whole trip. It was amazing!! As you get closer to these little towns you start seeing people driving down the sides of the roads with their horse and buggy and then buggies parked at the little stores in the towns. I loved it. We ended up taking a tour in a buggy with an Amish man who was really willing to answer any kind of question we had for him. As we talked to him and later watched a video I realized that for the most part the Amish don't have general rules really. They kind of just decide whether or not they can do something when it comes up. They can use tractors, but they have to have steel wheels so they can't drive them on the road. They can have phones and cell phones, but they can't be in the house (they usually have them in a shed outside). They can't have electricity from power lines but they can generate their own electricity with solar panels. It is not against their religion to smoke or drink, but they try not to get carried away. The main rule for them I guess would be that they aren't supposed to be connected to the outside world.

Although that lifestyle seems pretty extreme, and I don't totally understand all the elements of the Amish faith I would have to say that there is definitely something to living such a simple life. Family members stay close to each other, the people take care of each other, and they don't seem to get caught up in the hustle and bustle and worldliness that the rest of us deal with. If you are even somewhere close to an Amish community I would HIGHLY recommend checking it out. It is fascinating.


Drew and I in the buggy with our Amish friend Aaron.


An Amish home.


Another view of an Amish home and farm.

P.S. In case you have heard the rule that you're not supposed to take pictures of the Amish people and you think I am a horrible person, Aaron told us without us asking that he was fine with people taking pictures of him and that he was happy to strike a pose. :)

4 comments:

Milas Howe said...

I just want you to know that I've been there before. I went to Washington, D.C. with my family and we passed through there on our way to Gettysburg. I also got a shirt that said "Intercourse Athletics XXL". I decided that I probably shouldn't take that shirt on my mission...

Milas Howe said...

That is pretty cool, I think it would be kinda nice in a way to live that way. For the reasons that you said, being close to family and stuff.

Attitude of Gratitude said...

I got to go visit that same farm--isn't it gorgeous! I loved it too--your post took me back!

Danny & Branae Porter said...

that looks like that was so much fun! I love the picture with the buggie! that is the coolest buggie i've ever seen